Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Arch from Champs!


I had lots of photos in the past of Paris' important monument, Arch of Triumph but it was only now that I was able to get one right from the elegant Champs Elysees, the widest and biggest avenue that side of town.

While Bebeth and I were crossing Champs, I suddenly remembered to take out my camera and get this chance amidst the traffic. My amiga was hesitant for we were right smack in the middle of the cars wheezing in and out but we did it!

The Arch of Triumph was ommissioned in by Napoleon, shortly after his victory at Austerlitz. There are four huge relief sculptures at the bases of the four pillars and one can also find the tomb of the unknown soldier where every Armistice Day (11 November) the President of the Republic would lay a wreath.

This is also the starting point of a military parade every Bastille Day (July 14).

I can still remember that the french heroine Marianne is also carved in one of its walls. How can I forget that when we share similar names :)

The photo below gives you a nearer shot of the famous landmark.




We also chanced upon these seemingly french veterans preparing to March to the Arch for what occasion we don't know.

No comments: